1.25.2012

The Rodeo

Last weekend we took the boys to see The World's Toughest Rodeo.  Robin and Kay joined us and the boys were thrilled to be going.  They got all dressed up in their cowboy attire and had a hard time waiting patiently for the bull riding events to begin.  They loved every minute of it and I must admit, I enjoyed myself too.  I love that my boys love cowboys.  I love that the announcer prayed before the event.  I love that they honored a local soldier as "the real hero of the night."  I love that the cowboys would drop to their knees after their ride and pray.  
What I didn't love was the intensity of the sport.  I covered my eyes a lot and held my breath through every ride.  I don't know how mothers can sit and watch their sons hanging on for dear life on the back of one of those wild animals.  I would need to be medicated.  Or sedated.  So I grin and bear it as I watch them play rodeo in the playroom, roping furniture and giving each other "bull rides" on their backs.  I encourage their cowboys dreams from the safety of our house.  But should they become serious in their intentions to "ride real mean bulls," I fully intend to break out my photographic proof as to why they should never consider such a crazy idea.



1.  Broken hands?  Jammed fingers?  Take your pick, boys.
2.  You are such handsome boys.  And I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm your Mama.  You really are.   And, baby, a face plant in the dirt may leave a mark on that handsome face.  Let's avoid that, please.
3.  Hello, torn groin muscle.  Nice to meet you.
4.  His foot is hung on the rope.  The rope that is attached to the bull.  Not good, boys.  Not good at all.
5.  Focus your attention to the gentleman on the right.  The one in the white shirt that is climbing over the railing.  This is gentleman is smart, son.  A chicken?  Maybe.  But smart none the less.
6.  In life, there's always a time to let go and a time to hold on.  This, boys, would be an appropriate time to let go.
7.  A bull's horns are dangerous.  You already know that.  Those horns will put your eye out.  And you have such beautiful big, brown eyes.  Let's keep it that way.
8.  This can't end good, boys.  Period.
9.  Two words.  Broken tailbone.  Do you really want to have to carry a pillow to sit on every where you go?
10.  Any sport that causes your legs to fly over your head like this is a bad idea.  Unless you're competing in a break dancing competition.  Which I hope to never witness you do either, by the way.
Now this is my speed, boys.  Mutton Bustin'.  Harmless, slow, fluffy sheep.  Helmets.  Face guard.  Where do we sign up?

No comments: