11.29.2011

His First Best Friend

Early yesterday morning, Jody's Papa left his earthly home for a new home in paradise.  We are all so heartbroken, but so thankful that he is no longer in pain and his suffering has ended.  My heart aches for Marie and the entire family.  But for my precious Sam, my heart breaks.  You see, his Papa, his Du-Dolph, was his very first best friend.  Sam adored him and Papa loved my little boy in a sweet and special way that I will always remember and treasure.  Their bond was something to behold and I'm so thankful I had the opportunity to witness it.  We prepared Sam by telling him how sick Papa was and that he would soon be going to heaven.  Telling him that Papa was gone was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.  I thought he handled the news so well.  I was actually surprised by his reaction.  He was calm and appeared unaffected.  I got busy doing something for Will and turned back to see my sweet boy, face buried in the chair, sobbing.  I took him in my arms and held him  as he asked me why no one helped Papa when he stopped breathing.  I loved him and held him tight, wishing I could mend his broken heart.  I know only time will mend all of our hearts.  Especially for my Sam, who has lost one of the first real loves of his life.  His Papa.  His Du-Dolph.  His first best friend.

No comments: