4.27.2011

Our Trip to the Mountains

Last week our family of five loaded up and made the long drive to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.  We stayed in a log cabin, shopped at old country stores and went to the Dixie Stampede.  We also enjoyed a day at Dollywood.  Wow, that's a sentence I never thought I'd type...We enjoyed a day at Dollywood.  I am securing my status as the proud mother of three, little rednecks.

The Highlights...
Sam asking, "Are we at Hollywood (Dollywood) yet?" at least a hundred times.
The squeals of delight when my boys saw the huge inventory of toy guns at the old country store.
Discovering that Will might love roasted corn on the cob as much as his Mama.
Riding the log ride with Sam.  He loves rides just like me.  Jack loves rides as much as Jody does...not so much.  The log ride was extremely fast and he loved it.  He insisted on riding it twice and I won't soon forget the smile on his face.
The boys excitement when we entered our cabin.  They both said they really want us to live in a house like that all the time.
Dollywood.  It really is an amazing park with great rides, delicious food and a train that carries you through the Smoky Mountains.  It has everything my boys love at this moment in there lives, which is the very reason we had to go.
The Dixie Stampede.  The boys loved it.  All of it.  The horses and pigs and cowboys and Indians.  And making a return appearance just in time for our trip...the buffalo.  Sam Standley was in heaven.  
Popeye made an appearance.
Being around people that didn't bat an eye at my boys in full cowboy gear toting a toy firearm.
Sam and Jack's excitement over the jacuzzi tub.  Forget  a swimming pool.  My little rednecks can have some serious fun in an over sized bathtub.

The Not So Highlights...
The long car ride.  Six hours in a vehicle with a squealing/crying/fussy thirteen month old.  And to make things better, I got carsick.  Very, very carsick.  I think Jody was very tempted to leave me and Will on the side of the road.
The $17.00 drink.  I pointed out a plastic cup to Jody at a concession stand at Dollywood and asked him to get a couple of those because they had a sturdy lid that doubled as a handle.  He returned with two drinks and two bags of chips.  The total...$38.00.  I nearly had a heart attack.
Dollywood has small ponds and creeks running all through the park which are home to lots of ducks.  And these ducks like to move from one water source to the other.  By flying.  Not walking, like any real duck would do.  Me, walking unsuspectingly through the park, pushing a stroller and holding my $17.00 coke, plus ducks that fly five feet off the ground (which is the same height of my head)...equals an unpleasant experience for me.




No comments: