1.24.2011

Little Jody

The other day the boys and I rode down to the barn, Sam and Jack on their riding toys, Will and I on the gator.  And the strangest thing happened.  Somewhere along the ride, my middle child became a man. It was evident immediately after he jumped off his ride.  He and Sam both ran to find a shovel and began shoveling feed that had spilled out under the gate.  At that moment, Jack became the head rancher of Five J's Cattle Company.  And as he worked, he educated me on everything I needed to know about cows and gates and the rules of the barn.
"Hey, Mama.  You see that big, white bull right there?"
"Yes, I see him."
"You don't trust that bull, Mama.  You don't never trust a bull, okay?"
"Okay, son.  I won't trust that bull or any other bull."
"Mama, you see that cat right there?"
"Yes, I see him."
  "He's okay.  He's missing a leg, but his other three legs work real good."
"I need to rake right here, Mama.  But I have to open this gate first."
"Are you sure you're allowed to open that gate, Jack?"
"Yeah, Mama.  It's okay.  There ain't no animals in there, Mama.  And all you have to do is lift up this thing right here and the gate will open."
"Look at all those cows right there, Mama. I got to go check those cows real quick."
"You do?  Okay, honey.  Go ahead."
"You just wait right there, Mama.  I'll be right back."
After checking all the cows, he ran back over to the barn and began shoveling again.  I was so proud and impressed.  My big, hardworking, little boy.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The boys are learning things that few little children are able to learn these days. I am so proud that Jody and Joe are teaching them things I learned as a small child. I hope the interest they have now will continue as they get older..for now we are so lucky that they love farm life.
Love you
G-MA