1.06.2011

Little Gifts

Early last week, when Will was the only one with a flu diagnosis, Sam and Jack went over to Nana and JP's to play and to allow me to spray every inch of our house with Lysol.  I called to check on them and Mama told me how sweet Jack was being, following her around and wanting to help her with anything he could.  She told me he kept talking about me and asking to bring me stuff from her house. Later that afternoon when the boys returned home, there was my sweet boy, walking up to me carrying a small vase of flowers.  "Here, Mama.  I got these for you."  I marveled over those flowers, scooped him up in my arms and thanked him for being so sweet. He smiled sheepishly and buried his face into my shoulder. We found the perfect spot for my gift on the kitchen table and he proudly placed them in the center and turned to me, offering me the same shy smile.
And then he ran back to the den and brought me another gift.  A peeled tangerine inside a plastic sandwich bag.  Again, I scooped him up in my arms, kissed him and told him that he gave the very best presents.  "You need to eat this, Mama.  This will make you feel good.  It makes you have strong muscles and not be sick."  I thanked him and told him that I would be sure to eat it so that I could have strong muscles just like him.

Those two little gifts brightened my day so much.  And those flowers made me smile every time I looked at them in the coming days.  Days that would be filled with fevers, doctor's visits, sleepless nights and countless doses of medicine.  Days when I ached for things to be normal, desperately needed a shower, and nearly broke down in tears at the sight of my laundry pile.   They reminded me that as bad as it was those few days, I am so immensely blessed to share my life with these boys.  Sick or not. Tired or not.  Overwhelmed or not.  I am honored to be their mom and caring for them when they need me most is a privilege. 

I received a note today from someone I admire that reminded me again...
"I've kept you on my mind and heart as I understand all three little ones have had the flu!  I know you must be exhausted and I pray you and Jody haven't gotten ill too.  I remember those hard, long days when kids are sick and things don't get done around the house, sleep is interrupted (or doesn't come), you can't get a minute alone AND you're stuck inside, unshowered, for days on end. Persevere girl!  You'll NEVER be sorry that you gave it all you had!  And it really does go by so quickly."

May I never forget that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Little boys always have the sweetest gifts.
Love you
G-MA