10.07.2010

Three

Today you turned three.  You ran into my room after Daddy left for work, cuddled beside me, fell back to sleep and snored softly.  I woke you up by singing Happy Birthday in your ear and watched a smile wash over your peaceful face as you realized today was your day. You ate warm blueberry muffins for breakfast and dressed in jeans and an orange shirt for preschool. Ally called and sang Happy Birthday to you like an opera singer and you laughed and laughed. I dropped you off at school and whispered in your ear that I would be back soon with lunch and cupcakes.  Daddy, Will and I walked in to find you sitting quietly at the lunch table.  We brought Chick-fil-a for your class and bright orange cupcakes for all the children at your school.  We were surprised to see that you had gifts to open at school and watched with pride as you basked in the spotlight of being the birthday boy.  I took you home from school early. Nana and Bec came to see you and later you played in the tub with Sam and Will.  We got ready to head out for dinner and I made you stop for a second and allow me to take your picture.  You gave me a look I have seen often, with your nose scrunched up and a slight, forced smile.
It looked very much like the smile you gave me on your first birthday.  I adored it then and I adore it still.
We ate a fancy dinner at the Angus Barn and you were amazed at the huge gun collection on display.  Our waitress took us back to the kitchen after dinner.  You stood on a drink crate and decorated your own birthday cake and ice cream.  The staffed fawned over you and your brothers and I was so proud.  We headed back to our table and watched the waitress add three candles to your cake and light them.  We sang to you and watched you try your hardest to blow them out.  You talked your Daddy in to buying you a toy stuffed donkey from the gift shop and giggled when I read his tag and told you his name was Durham.  We arrived home to a gift from the Lees, cowboy figurines that you were amazed by.  Daddy and I gave you a new tomahawk and three new guns.  You insisted on changing into costume, which you did, and practiced loading the "bullets" into your shotgun.  I announced that I really, really wanted a hug and kiss goodnight from a three year old boy and you threw both your arms in the air and said, "Me! Me!"  I held you tight and kissed your check and whispered to you something that I hope you'll remember for the next 364 days, "You are the best little boy and my favorite three year old in the whole world.  And I love you, love you, love you."  Happy Birthday, sweet Jack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW what a great birthday. You are the sweetest 3 year old ever. Lots of love
G-MA