9.17.2010

The Baby You

Will, you are growing so fast. Much, much faster than I like. I see you changing every day and learning new, exciting things. Yet, there are things about you now that I want to remember forever. Precious things about the baby you...

When you are tired, you rub your eyes in a perfect, intentional, circular motion. I remember reading books before Sam was born that said a cue that your baby is sleepy is when he rubs his eyes. Since your older brothers never did this, I was convinced that babies probably don't actually rub their eyes like a sleepy child or adult. I was amazed to see that at an early age, you would rub you eyes before falling asleep. And now, this is part of who you are. Also, when you are tired, your left eyelid turns red. Just your left eyelid and it happens every time you are sleepy. I watch the redness fade away as you sleep, knowing it will return the next time you are tired.

You giggle when you realize I am about to nurse you. It is the sweetest thing, a giggle full of excitement and love. You look up at me and smile as I feed you and will even stop nursing, look up at me, laugh and then begin nursing again. This sweetness sure helps overshadow the times you bite me! You always reach out with one of your arms as I feed you and will either grab hold of my shirt or wrap your hand around my fingers. You hold on tightly until you are done and then gently release my hand or shirt. It seems that you hold on to me, forcing me to stay there next to you. If only you knew, I'm not going anywhere sweet boy.

You fit perfectly next to me. When we I lay you beside me, I pull you close to me and you fit perfectly against me. No matter how much you grow, you still curl up perfectly beside me. Your legs curl up near my lap and your chest rests perfectly on mine. And your sweet, soft head rests under my neck, perfectly. All is right with the world when you are cuddled beside me.

That laugh. You have the best laugh. Full of joy and innocence. And you laugh over anything. If I nuzzle your neck, or tickle your thigh, or make a silly face, you reward me with that adorable cackle of yours. Your laugh is the music I dance through my days to. It sustains me when I'm exhausted and in my constant reminder of how blessed I really am.

You squeal, yell and growl like a wild man. When your brothers are being loud, you chime in and make your fair share of noise. You drive Sam and Jack crazy in the car because you "talk" so loudly when they are trying to watch a movie. They say, "Will, I can't hear!" and you respond by yelling or growling louder. You can also make noises that sound like a wild cat and a raccoon. At such a young age, you can often be the loudest one in the room.

More than anything I don't ever want to forget how you look at me. Your love for me is so obvious and I am so lucky to be on the receiving end of your sweetness. You cry when you lose sight of me and giggle with relief when I scoop you up in my arms. Many times when you are fussy, you need nothing more than to be held and kissed by me. I am so grateful for the opportunity to take care of you and make you happy. You repay me with your endless smiles and infectious laughter. I am so thankful to know you as my son and I can't imagine my life without you. My baby. I am so blessed to be your Mama and I love you so very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved all the letters to your sons. They are such wonderful little boys. They are blessed to have such good parents.
Love you
G-MA