7.29.2010

Right of Passage

It was only a year ago that my oldest had finally mastered a very important farming responsibility...the opening and closing of the gate. He was so proud then. He could manage the gate for his Daddy to drive through and was able to latch the chain back on the nail without coming too close to the electric wire.
One year later and my oldest is now driving the gator through the gate while his Daddy manages the opening and closing and latching of the chain. Imagine my surprise (and horror) when I was summoned outside last night to watch my four year old drive through the gate and take a joy ride around the pasture. Did I mention that my middle child, my other baby, was perched on the back, along for the ride?
Jody coached Sam the entire time, telling him where to turn, when to slow down and when to stop. He drove very slowly and carefully and handled the pedals like a pro. He drove over to check Walter, one of our bulls, examined him and yelled back to his Daddy, "I checked him Daddy. He's okay."
Around he went, him decked out in his cowboy gear, his brother in pajamas and his coon skin cap. I held my breath (and took pictures) and questioned Jody about the intelligence (or lack there of) we were showing by allowing Sam to putt around on the gator, his little brother on the back, while we stood back and watched. His response was, "Ang, I was driving a truck and hay trailer through the field when I was his age. It's time he learned." I have yet to verify the validity of his response. But I'm sure he was driving something around the farm by the time he was four, although probably not a truck and trailer.
Somebody got a little jealous of his older brother and spent most of the ride with his head buried in his hands, pouting like a champ. He certainly thought he should have a turn too, even though his feet don't reach the pedals, and he was more than a little ticked off that he had to stay in the back, watching his older brother have all the fun.
So I held my breath and watched my oldest grow up before my eyes. I understand that this is just another right of passage in this life we love. Farm life. We are so blessed to raise these boys here, on this land, where they can run and explore and relish the wonder of being a boy. Even if it makes their Mama's hair prematurely grey and gives her worry lines on her forehead...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures. Jody is right. He was driving in the hay field at Sam's age. Got to learn sometimes...and Joseph was Jack's age when he sent a tractor across the highway into the ditch. And yes the grey hair is just beginning.
l9ove you
G-Ma