5.30.2009

Progress

What a difference a year can make.  This is my oldest, completely submerged after jumping in the pool today.
I offered to set up the water slide for Sam today but he said he'd rather go to Meme and Robin's pool and swim.  I wasn't expecting much since last year he refused to wear wings, screamed if his face went under the slightest bit and spent every trip to the pool wrapped around my neck.  By the end of last summer, he was doing quite well when Allyson would take him swimming with Cade and Cannon.  I never saw this since when Mama is around it is always a license to whine and be dramatic.  So when we headed to the pool this afternoon, I fully expected a short trip and even thought we may come home dry.  But my little man surprised me.  A lot.  He was amazing.  Jumping in and going under, over and over again.  He swam around on his own and when I told him I used to teach kids to swim and I could teach him, he politely pushed me away and said, "That's okay.  I can teach myself to swim, Mommy."
Today left me excited over how wonderful our summer is going to be.  Long days with little else to do than swim ourselves silly.  I can't wait to take him to the big pool and watch him splash and play with other kids his age.  We have so many fun days ahead.
After swimming, Sam had to cuddle with Finley, Bec and Chris' new puppy.  Both my boys are crazy over this dog.  They chase him, pick him up way too much and call his name hundreds of times.  I fully anticipate Finley will soon begin running in the opposite direction when he sees them coming.
And as for this monkey, he was having no part of any fun in the pool.  He screamed and cried for the two seconds I brought him into the water with me.  So out he went to hang out with G-Ma in a her water free back yard.  Yes, he much prefers getting wet at his own leisure with the old reliable garden hose.
That and drinking a little left over water off the concrete.  Completely nude, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just give him time. He looks like a professional swimmer to me.

Love
G-MA