5.20.2009

Fun...and a Little Jealousy

Today I watched Cannon and Landry along with my two over at Ally's house. Four kids for roughly four hours.  Exhausting. Exhausting but fun.  Because they are in fact the sweetest, coolest kids on the planet, if I do say so myself.  When I got there, Rebecca had Landry's hair pulled up in the cutest pony tail.  It's the first time I've seen her hair back and she sported it well.  Oh, the fun of having a girl...

We spent the day outside, which meant lots of "pee-pee" breaks.  Cannon and Sam are very accustomed to dropping their pants outside, handling their business and getting back in the action without missing a beat.  Little Lulu saw the older boys peeing and before I could stop her, she had her pants and diaper off and was trying her best to pee too.
Sam and Cannon play so well together.  One of the benefits of only being 18 days apart.  They use their imagination, create games and take turns being the leader.  One of the games they placed today was "Daddy and baby," which consisted of Cannon, the daddy, leading a crawling Sam, the baby, through the yard.
They hung out on the swing set for a while before deciding to be mean animals and swing and slide like animals.  They were bears, tigers, dogs, cats, etc.  Landry was napping at the time and I stepped inside to check on her while they were pretending to be animals. When I returned, Sam and Cannon both were completely naked.  "Why did ya'll take your clothes off?" I asked.  And in a very matter-of-fact way, Sam told me, "Because Mommy.  Animals don't wear clothes."  What was I thinking by even asking?
My youngest, my sweet, adorable Jack must have grown tired of hearing me comment about how precious his older brother is as I brag about him picking me flowers everyday.  Well, not to be outdone, Jack picked me the world's largest artificial flower. I was honored.  And I'll be heading out to find another flower spinner to put by the play area this weekend.  My little heavy handed son broke the "stem" in half while trying to please me.  And by the way, I was very, very pleased.  Pure Jack.
I also must brag on little Landry. She kept the "boss lady" under wraps today and only got in one small scuffle with Jack over the battery operated F-150.  It seems this girl has a thing for pick up trucks.  After playing a while, she sweetly crawled up in my lap and cuddled.  "Landry," I said, "are you ready to go to bed?"  She nodded that she was and off we went to her room.  I placed her in her crib, handed her her milk and blanket and said, "Okay sweet girl.  Night Night."  In return, she looked up to me and gave me the warmest smile.  I turned to walk out thinking to myself that there is absolutely no way putting one down to sleep is that easy.  I closed the door behind me, pausing for the long scream that I knew would come.  It didn't.  I heard her talking sweetly, saying "Mama, Mama" and "Cade" and "Dada."  But not one single whimper.  And boy was I jealous.  For all of you that are blessed with this easiness at nap or bedtime, good for you.  You see, my youngest, the one a mere 16 days older than Landry, still screams like someone is cutting off one of his limbs when I put him in his bed awake.  Every single time.  And my oldest, well, we all know where he still sleeps.  No comments, please.  So on the heels of a night that consisted of me hanging on for dear life on the edge of our suddenly too small king size bed as my two children popped me in the face with their hands and feet, I was amazed by little Lulu.  Amazed and jealous.  And now completely convinced that I need a little girl in my testosterone filled, sleep deprived house.

No comments: