1.22.2009

Answered Prayers

Jack's surgery today went so incredibly well.  He was more relaxed as they prepped him for surgery and for a moment I thought he may be whisked away without any tears.  The transition to the operating room was a little worse this time. He screamed hysterically on top of the crying.  Jody and I stood there looking at each other, both our hearts breaking.  The procedure only took 20 minutes and Dr. Holmes came out to tell us that everything had gone perfectly.  His adenoids were indeed pretty large and this should provide a lot of relief for Jack.  They called us back to see him about 20 minutes later.  I had prepared Jody for the worst, recounting how he acted last time and how needed to be ready to see him very upset and uncontrollable.  We walked through the doors to recovery and I waited to hear his screams. Nothing. I couldn't find him.  Silence.  I looked around and saw his blue blanket on the end of a bed around the corner. And there he was...sleeping sweetly on his side, still hooked up to all the equipment and with his breathing tube still in tact.  This was a hard thing to see.  Even though I knew he was fine and would awaken soon, I couldn't help but think of the parents who stand by their child's bed willing them to wake up, hoping they will be okay.  I am so blessed to have this healthy little boy with these few, minor issues.  We watched him sleep for 25 minutes and he slowly woke up.  The nurse pulled his tube out and immediately placed him in my arms.  This made all the difference.  He fussed a little and cried when they removed his IV, but he was so calm, so different.  Waking up to his parents reassured him that he was safe.  No screaming and fighting.  He was perfect.  The anesthesiologist came by to check him out.  He explained that they had administered a little different medication this time and made him a little more tired.  I thanked him for this and told him how much I appreciated him taking such good care of Jack.  He was doing so remarkably well that we were allowed to leave immediately.  We walked back in our house at 10:00 this morning...just as Sam was waking up.  Within minutes Jack was back to normal, bouncing off the couch, dancing and climbing on their rocking horse.  I actually had to put the horse on the porch to avoid a major injury.  His balance wasn't that great and climbing up on a horse was a little too risky.  He laughed, gave Sam kisses and made a mess...just like he always does.  He napped a couple of hours and went hard all afternoon.  After dinner, he looked so exhausted.  He was pale and his eyes had red bags under them. Straight to the tub he went, and then Bec rocked him to sleep by 7:45.  Relief...he is home, safe, better, practically unchanged.  I am thankful beyond words and so happy that we are all home together...just as we should be.

So what was my prayer?  I prayed for Jack during his last surgery. But this time I not only prayed for the surgery to go well, for Dr. Holmes and the nurses to take special care of him and for him to not be scared...I prayed specifically for the anesthesiologist. I had not done this before.  I prayed over and over that he be put to sleep in a manor that agreed with his body and that he would wake up feeling safe and secure.  I prayed that his breathing would be normal and he would not feel angry and scared.  And God answered my prayers.  Completely.  Perfectly.  God is so good.

Hanging out in pre-op...
The happy meds are starting to work...
Happy, Happy, Happy
Waiting anxiously for him to wake up...
Back at home and back to normal...notice the goldfish covering the floor thanks to Jack.
Climbing on countertops...
Feeling and looking very tired after his bath...
Enough with the camera, Mom.

4 comments:

Jodi Lowe said...

Oh yeahhh!!! I am so glad it went well, and I hope that he gets the much needed sleep he has been up able to get. Sounds like it is not that painful of a procedure thankfully. I hope everything gets better!

Deborah Murphy said...

Hey girl, I am so glad to hear that the surgery went well and that sweet boy is feeling better! I will be keeping you all in my prayers! Deborah

Mary Evans said...

having a child go through any type of surgery is such a helpless feeling- I can speak from experience, As a mother you do everything for your children, when they have a boo boo it is our job to fix it and make it better, but when you are waiting in a hospital waiting room helpless, that feeling I hope to never feel again- but knowing everything is in God's hands and it will be ok brings comfort. Glad to hear your little one is better!

Anonymous said...

I am glad Jack's hard times are over. I am ready for the wild child to return.
I love you
G-MA