9.27.2008

We Love G-Ma!

My boys are so lucky to have their G-Ma.  She adores them and they adore her right back.  She is wonderful to them, always patient, never raises her voice, doesn't give spankings (even when she should), acts interested in everything they do, spoils them with hugs and kisses and cinnamon rolls, lets them dig in the dirt, make messes and just be little boys.  She had two boys of her own, almost the same age difference, so she can relate to my days of dirty shoes, spilled cereal, dripping milk cups and brother fights.  Sam loves his G-Ma beyond words and little Jack is quickly falling head over heels too.  Sam loves talking to G-Ma, knowing she will hang on his every word, act amazed at his stories, cheer for his singing and praise his pants off.  Jack flirts with her, rolls and acts silly, walks up to her laughing and grinning for no other reason than he's just happy she's there.  Yes, my boys are very lucky...G-Ma is only two houses down, just a short walk to get that undivided attention that she sweetly gives them.  But I am the luckiest of all.  She comes and sits with them so I can clean, cut grass, run errands.  She takes them to her house when she senses I need a break and is always there when I need her.  I know I am blessed beyond words to have her in my life.  She is a strong lady, a fierce mom, a devoted Christian and an amazing mother-in-law.  She is understanding and loving, a wonderful teacher and loves her two boys and mine in a way that leaves no room for doubt as to where they stand. She is the mother who when she found out that Jody's college football coach had taken all the guy's car keys to ensure they couldn't leave campus, hopped in her car, drove 2 hours, and handed Jody another set of keys, in case he needed to get back home.  She is the mother who woke up early enough every morning to cook a full breakfast for her boys, tired or not, hectic mornings and all.  She is the mother who took a second job just to earn extra money so she could send Jody on a cruise for his high school graduation.  Her example of mothering is something I try to live up to.  Her boys know that she is always there for them, no matter what, forever and always. Sam and Jack will know this too, she'll make sure of it.  I pray that when my boys are 27 and 25 like hers, that they will know that I am always still right here, their biggest supporter, like her boys know...yes, this is my hope.  I count her as one of my dearest friends and I thank God for her.  

Sam told Jody tonight before going to sleep..."Daddy, I like G-Ma.  Yes, Son.  She's likes you too."  She sure does Sam (and Jack), more than you'll ever know.

                                                                         G-Ma and Sam
G-Ma and Jack
The first time...G-Ma and Sam
The first time...G-Ma and Jack

   


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE SO SWEET TO SAY THESE THINGS ABOUT ME. BUT YOU KNOW I COME FROM A LONG LINE OF PARENTS THAT WILL DO ANYTHING FOR THEIR CHILDREN,GRAND CHILDREN, AND FAMILIES. THE BARBOURS HAVE BEEN THAT WAY FOR AS LONG AS HISTORY CAN BE REMEMBERED. IT JUST A FAMILY TRADITION. I AM THE LUCKY ONE...........
LOVE YOU,
G-MA