9.20.2011

Still

He'll turn four soon.
And he's changing so much.
I notice his features changing,
Standing taller, running faster.
He's a boy now.
In every sense of the word.
He's growing up so fast.
Yet, he is still mine.
Maybe more so than his brothers.
Because he always wants me.
Always needs me.
Me.
Sometimes nothing else will do.
Just me.
At night, when he is sleepy, it's as if he's six months old again.
Because just like then, there is just one thing he needs to lull him to sleep.
Except now, unlike then, he tells me what he needs.
"Mama, I am tired.  I need your hair, Mama."
I'm not sure when it started.
But it's all I've ever known.
From the beginning.
Until tonight.
It's us.
It's what we do.
And I'm so thankful that, at nearly four years old, he needs me still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet.
Love you
G-MA