6.13.2011

Catching Up

Our days are busier than ever around here.  We are already enjoying the long, hot days.   Swimming, grilling and leaving a trail of wet clothes and dirty shoes everywhere we go. Every day is busy.  Every day is wonderful. Every day is a little overwhelming.  Every day is ridiculously long and shockingly short.  Every day is just as it should be.
Will has more teeth breaking through than should be allowed.  I currently count six, including four molars, which means my nights are a little tougher and I'm a little more tired.  But one big kiss from my little teething machine, and I instantly forget the sleepless nights and whiny afternoons.

Sam and Jack still insist on wearing their complete cowboy getup, or buckskins, every single day.  One hundred degrees or not.  You should see the looks I get in public.  My red faced, over dressed, cowboys cause their Mama to get some ugly looks.  As if I ask them to dress for an impending cold front before we head out to run errands.  

Sam begged me to watch Swamp People with him the other night.  I was disturbed on so many levels.  I found myself relying on my five year old to translate for me since I couldn't understand anything the folks were saying. Other than "alligator" and "that's a big one."  And is it really necessary to shoot the alligator that many times with the pistol?  After you've already shot him with a rifle?  And doesn't reality television pay well?  Surely it pays enough to replace that front tooth you're missing.

We've had a few calves born over the past few days.  Two are black baldies (cows with a black body and white face) and they both have one black eye.  One boy, one girl.  Jody called them the Black Eyed Peas before officially naming them Fergie and Will.I Am.  

Sam and Jack have decided that "soaking" is a great adjective.  They think "soaking" applies to anything and they use it any time the try to express the extent of something. "Soaking cold."  Soaking hot."  "Soaking tired." "Soaking hungry."  "Soaking mad."   I never knew I would hear the word "soaking" so much on a daily basis.
I would like to personally thank the individual that told the boys that cowboys wore their bandannas, or "dambannas" as Jack calls them, over their face to keep the dust out of their nose and mouth.  I have been forced to wear a bandanna over my face on several occasions to protect myself for the approaching dust storm in our house.  This a.) scares Will and b.) makes it hard to talk on the phone.  But they insist and I oblige.  Like any good cowboy's Mama would do.

Will thinks it's hilarious to slap his Mama in the face.  Like fry your jaws slapping.  His Mama doesn't think it's nearly as funny as he does.

After a tough day last week, Jody gave the boys a long talk about behaving and listening to me.  He told them that if they didn't start listening, he was going to call Nanny McSwamp to babysit them during the day.  He told them all about her, how ugly and mean she was, and that she had a long alligator tail.  Jack Standley was terrified.  Beyond terrified.  So imagine his reaction a few nights later when Jody used the tail of a dinosaur costume and a closet to further drive home his point.  Jack's listening has improved dramatically.

I have heard "do do ball" enough in the last five days to last me a lifetime.  On a positive note, my boys are improving their grammatical skills as they can now use the word as an adjective, a noun and a verb.
The boys have started asking us every night at dinner "who killed our supper?'  As in, who went out and hunted for whatever we are eating that night.  And they want details.  Tonight "Johnny Big Hunter" killed our pork loin while on a big wild hog hunt in Georgia.  They shoveled in that "wild hog" like it was their last meal.

And lastly, I accidentally ordered Justin Beiber's movie, "Never Say Never," this weekend on On Demand. And I didn't want to waste $3.99 so I watched it.  And now I totally get it.  And I'm not ashamed to confess that I now have strong case of Beiber Fever.  

No comments: