5.09.2011

The Lost Wheel

Jack received a toy hamster that runs around on a wheel from the Easter Bunny.  He saw it at a store while we were in the mountains and went crazy over it.  Jody snuck back in to the store and bought it and we added it to his Easter basket when we got home.  He was thrilled and loved watching "Hammy" run on the wheel and scurry around on the floor.  A few days after Easter, Hammy and the wheel went missing in the overwhelming mess that is often our playroom.  Jack and I searched for both items, but were unable to find either Hammy or the wheel.


A few days later, I spent an afternoon reorganizing the baskets and bins in the playroom.  Stuck in the bottom of a basket, I found Hammy.  Unfortunately, I did not find the wheel.


Jack came inside a little later and joined Will and me in the playroom.  I smiled as I pulled Hammy out and reunited him with his owner.  Jack was thrilled to see his old friend again.  


"Where was he, Mama?"


"I found him in the bottom of a basket.  But I've looked everywhere, buddy, and I can't find your wheel anywhere."


At that moment I saw a sense of panic wash over my boy's face.  His forehead was wrinkled with worry and confusion as he stared at me.  I now know that my child was afraid that his mother had lost her mind.  Or her eyesight.  He was staring at me in disbelief, wondering what on earth was wrong with me.


I repeated myself, thinking he hadn't heard me.  "I'm sorry, honey.  I couldn't find your wheel.  I've looked everywhere and I just can't find the wheel anywhere."


And my sweet, worried little boy comforted me by saying, "It's okay, Mama.  It's okay.  Yes, you can find it, Mama.  Yes, you can.  He's right there, Mama.  Look."


And he sweetly points to his little brother playing nearby, "The Will is right there.  He's right there, Mama.  See, Mama.  The Will's right there."


"Yes, it is honey.  The Will is right there.  Thank you for helping me find him."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so cute!
Love
G-MA