2.28.2011

Small Gifts

The velvet-lined drawer in my dresser no longer holds my jewelry.
Instead, it is now full of little trinkets.
Random discoveries
Treasures.
A belt buckle their Daddy once wore.
A tin box decorated with a gold horse.  Given to me "to put my earrings in."
A red, felt valentine.  The only gift in my drawer from my middle sweetie.
A large rock that my oldest truly believes is a diamond. 
And the string he ties around it over and over, hoping that this time it will hold and I will manage to wear it around my neck for more than two minutes before it falls down my shirt or skids across the kitchen floor.
Another collection of rocks.
One large, four small.
And a small, suede pouch to carry the latter with.
A flat stone or piece of glass.  I'm unsure which.  A treasure discovered on a Saturday at the barn.
Three metal keys.  These keys are not for small, wooden boxes or glass jewelry cases.  These keys are much more important.  They unlock the three sets of handcuffs that my little policemen use to "under arrest" the "bad guys."
A blue, metal, flower-shaped trinket.  Again, I am unsure of it's use or origin.  Another barn discovery.
Plastic, pretend bullets.  Placed in the drawer by my oldest to insure that his youngest brother didn't find them and choke on them.
A white golf ball.  And a pink one.  Both found while hiking across the pasture.
My jewelry has been replaced.
By priceless, little gifts.
Little gifts that I treasure.
Little gifts that make me smile.
Little gifts that I find far more valuable than jewelry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are the sweetest things. I too have small treasures, some I have given to Sam, Jack and Will but a few I can never part with...sweet cards some hand drawn, special letters from a homesick college student that would break your heart and a pair of the largest, ugliest, most precious green and purple earrings that anyone would ever want (and yes I did wear them one Easter Sunday)
We are the luckiest Moms in the world!
Love you
G-MA