12.23.2010

The Grinch

The Grinch.  My middle boy is in love with the Grinch.  It  began right after Thanksgiving when the boys saw the original movie at G-Ma's house.  Both the boys loved the movie and wanted me to buy a copy so that they could watch it whenever they wanted to.  And I did.  Jack was thrilled to be able to watch "that little green ant" anytime he wanted to.  And watch it he did.  Over and over and over.  In the house.  In the car.  Every single day.  We even bought a copy of the Jim Carey version and I was sure it might be a little scary for him and that he wouldn't like it.  I was wrong.  He loved it and was soon asking to watch the "pretend Grinch movie" and "the real Grinch movie."  I bought him the Grinch and Max stuffed animals and he carried them everywhere.  And then we discovered Grinch ornament kits at Michael's and we were soon busy decorating the tree in our kitchen with the Grinch, Max and Cindy Lou Who.  

So I have one son who adores Santa Claus and one who adores the Grinch.  It's quite fitting for their personalities.  On the night of their preschool program, Jack was being a little uncooperative.  Jody and I had each threatened him within an inch of his life if he didn't behave and do what he was suppose to do.  On the drive over to the church I pretended that Santa called my phone.  I talked for several minutes, telling "Santa" all about where we were going and what the boys were going to do in their program.  I hung up and went on with an elaborate story about how Santa was going to call me back later to see how well they had done and whether or not he needed to put all their toys on the sleigh or not.  My elaborate, long story had Sam wide eyed and quiet.  He vowed to do his best and behave.  I turned to Jack and asked if he was going to behave so I could tell Santa all about it.  

His response..."No, my not."   

"Oh, you're not."  Well that's too bad.  Santa will probably not bring you all your great presents then."

And without hesitation he said...

"Well, that's okay.  Cause I'll just get the Grinch to go steal all my presents from Santa Claus."

My son thinks the Grinch is real.  And that he is his partner in crime.  And somehow I am not surprised.

No comments: