9.23.2010

Slow Down, Sweetie

It started out simple enough. About a month ago I noticed my then nearly six month old hanging out at the step leading to the playroom. I would place him in the middle of the floor, surround him with toys and he would instantly crawl to the step.  He examined it for a few days before figuring out how to do this... 
Soon, he was crawling to the step and instantly standing.  I was surprised to say the least, but relieved that the step was the only spot that he would practice standing.  He took a few tumbles and bruised his forehead, which resulted in the installation of a foam bumper on the step.
Within a few days, I caught my boy trying his new trick in other places.  Anything he could use to pull himself up by was used.  He soon learned how to pull up on nearly all his toys.  He would squeal in delight as he stood and giggle and babble as he enjoyed his new found freedom.

Soon, he moved from his toys to his brother's and his fearlessness caused me to cringe on more than one occasion.  I was simply not ready for my baby to be standing so soon.  He's just too young, too little, too new.

But stand he does.  Regardless of how much it worries his Mama.  Or how many times he tumbles.  And I find myself begging him to please slow down.  Please, please sweetie.  Please stop growing so fast.  Will, I need you to stay a baby just a little longer.  Or for your entire life if you don't mind.  

No comments: