4.17.2010

Night Out

I don't get out much.  That is if you don't count Chick-fil-a.  With three kids in tow, one of which is usually attached to my boob, it's more work than it's worth most of the time.  So a chance to go out to dinner with others who can help me with my three sweeties is a welcomed event.  We went out to dinner tonight with Jody's parents.  The boys were angels and things were going remarkably well.  After dinner, Jody's Mom wanted to go to Roses to look for flower pots.  Roses is like a really big dollar store.   Several steps down from Wal-Mart and light years away from my beloved Target, but I'm up for anything these days.  Even Roses.  Jody asked me as we walked down the aisles of random items, "What exactly are we doing here?"  Sam and Jack were thrilled to find the toys and walked out with a rifle and butterfly net.  Will was getting hungry and fussy so we wrapped things up and prepared to leave.

And then...Jody tells me he doesn't have the keys.  "What do you mean, you don't have the keys?"  So we searched and realized he had locked the keys inside.  It's 8:30 now, Will is gnawing my neck, the people arriving are looking shadier and shadier, Sam is shooting people in the parking lot with his rifle and Jack is running around trying to catch butterflies in the sad plant area on the sidewalk.  We call Aunt Boo who runs to our house and finds the extra set of keys and we wait for her to arrive.  Will can wait no longer to eat, so I have no choice but to sit down on the curb, in the fire lane, and nurse my baby.  I told Jody I had never felt like such a redneck.  There we sat, me nursing, Jody teaching Sam the proper way to shoot a rifle and Jack running between me and Poppa putting the butterfly net on our head and saying "I got you!"  There was an old lady sitting in an old hoop ride glaring at me as I nursed.  She was really enjoying the show. As I sat there completely humiliated I see a truck pull into the parking lot, high beams on.  The truck proceeds to pull to the front of the store right where we were sitting.  The parking lot was nearly empty and there were plenty of front row spaces.  But this guy felt the need to park in the fire lane and pulled up twenty feet from where I sat nursing with his bright lights shining nicely on yours truly. "Are you kidding me?" I said.  Thankfully, G-Ma ran over and stood in front of me to block the high beams from blinding my baby.  And then I looked over to see Poppa holding a cardboard sign that he made from Sam's rifle box.  And on it he had written,"Will work for food. Grand kids! Have one, get one free!!!"  And I just had to laugh.  At the whole experience.  At what my life has become.  Three boys. Exciting trips to dinner and Roses.  Sitting on the curb nursing my newborn.  And I wouldn't change a thing.

Pics courtesy of Jody's cell phone...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh What a night!!!
But it was such fun and the boys were great.
Love
G-MA

Deborah Murphy said...

I am laughing so hard because I swear Tommy and I have those "what has our life become moments" ALOT lately! Your boys are so adorable..glad your doing great!