1.14.2010

The Dentist

Today Sam had his first visit to the dentist. I scheduled him to go along with me for my regular cleaning. He was a little anxious, but after several talks explaining what would happen, he felt brave enough to go. Sam went first and climbed up in the chair like a champ. He followed instructions perfectly and handled the cleaning like a pro. They did find that he has a small cavity in one of his back teeth. The hygienist commented on how strong and clean his teeth look and that she was really surprised that he has a cavity. She went on to tell me that when their teeth look as good as his do, a cavity is usually the result of falling asleep while drinking milk or juice. "So be sure to make him brush after he finishes his last cup in order to make sure none is left on his teeth as he falls asleep," she told me. "Oh, okay. Sure." I smiled and graciously accepted her advice. I've read all the articles in Parents magazine about how awful it is for your child to fall asleep while drinking. I've even read the helpful hints from parents who use little finger toothbrush devices to gently clean their sleeping child's teeth if, heaven forbid, they fell asleep with a juice or milk cup in the mouth. I totally get it. And I do worry about their teeth, just like I worry about every aspect of their health. So there was no way I was going to own up to the fact that my children drink milk. A lot of milk. And that the night is no exception. And I don't stick a toothbrush in their mouth when they're done. I certainly wouldn't have told her that some mornings I walk four of five empty milk cups into the kitchen. Yes, it's my dark, dirty secret. I give my children milk during the night if they ask for it. Terrible, I know.

We left the dentist and Sam immediately began asking question after question about his cavity. I explained that it was just a tiny little hole and that Dr. Lee would clean it up and fix it for him and he would never even know it was there. He accepted my explanation and then this conversation took place...

"Mama, so I have a teeny, tiny hole in my tooth?"
"Yes, honey, you do. But Dr. Lee is going to fix it and your tooth will be just fine."
"Well, is it going to hurt when I eat ice cream?"
"Not if we get it fixed, honey."

A few moments of silence...

"Mama, you know it's really not that bad to have a tiny hole in your tooth."
"Really, son?"
"Yeah, Mama. You can get tiny holes in lots of places. Like your nose or your heini or your ding dong or even your leg."
"Really?"
"Yeah, really. It happens a lot of times and it's okay. Little holes don't hurt at all, Mama."
"Well, son, I sure am glad about that."
"Okay, Mama."

Whatever it takes to make him feel better. Whatever it takes.


No comments: