12.28.2009

Sam the Hunter

Yesterday Jody took the boys out "hawk hunting" with their cap guns. I stayed at home and tried digging my way through the aftermath of Santa Claus and an endless mound of new toys.   The Lord was looking after me by sending me outside with a bag of trash at the exact moment that my oldest came bounding up the steps with a white bucket in his hand and a grin stretched from ear to ear.  I opened the door just as he reached for the handle and let out a scream when he shoved the bucket high in the air, making sure I could clearly see the two dead squirrels inside.  I proceeded to then yell at his Daddy, who was standing in the driveway laughing, fully aware that my child was about to run two dead rodents into our house.  I am quite sure that it was his Daddy that urged him to run inside with the bucket to "surprise Mama."  My exasperation subsided when I saw how happy Sam was.  He was beaming.  And so was his Daddy.  And I caught a glimpse into my future, a future with unexpected surprises brought to my doorstep.  And that's okay...as long as they don't actually cross my doorstep, boys.

Beaming...
Proud...
Seriously, could he be any happier?
Every hunter has to take a spin on his four wheeler after a big kill...
Jack was a little less than thrilled with the experience.  Jody said he was terrified and had to be carried after seeing the squirrels.  When he saw me taking Sam's picture, he ran over and insisted I take a picture of him with his gun and his paper towel that he was using to clean the mud off his boots.  And so, of course, I obliged...

No comments: