11.05.2009

Exhausting

Jack. So beautiful. So funny. So sweet. So exhausting. The time change has thrown my boy into a whirlwind of sleeplessness. Not that he was ever the greatest sleeper. He is an early riser, like his Daddy (unlike his Mama), he fights sleep like a pro and thinks that naps are so last year. He is that kid that can be utterly exhausted, close his eyes for five minutes, only to wake up suddenly and act as if he just took a four hour nap. And I've accepted these qualities, as hard as they may be to like. But lately his sleep habits are a little hard for me to accept. I blame it on the time change, but honestly there really is no excuse for this craziness. He has woken up at 5:30 (and decided everyone else needed to wake up too) for the past two mornings. The two mornings prior to that? He slept in to a staggering 6:30. So up at 5:30 should definitely justify a nap, right? Um, nope. Fourteen hours later and he's still kicking. Just like yesterday. And the day before that. And to think I thought his previous wake up time of 7:30 was flat out torture. 7:30...those were the good ole' days.

And as frustrating as it is, and as tired as I am, I try to remain positive. I try to look on the bright side of things. To be that Mom who looks for the good even in the trenches of this thing called parenting. And then it hit me. Maybe this need for little sleep is one of Jack's attributes. I mean think of all the exciting, prosperous careers he can venture into that require one to thrive on little or no sleep. A doctor who works 24 hour shifts in the ER...no problem. A pilot who specializes in flights to Australia and Japan...piece of cake. The president of the United States who must work long hours and be available at any moment...easy, easy. Yes, an attribute. That's what we'll call this little need of sleep that Jack has. So I expect great things of him. And I'm sure he'll excel with little or no sleep at all. And I'll be rooting him on. Me, his exhausted, sleep-deprived, loving Mother.

2 comments:

Michelle Oliver said...

So funny Angela! Cole was the exact same way. We use to put him into bed with us and let him watch TV until at least 6:30. It will get better. He will never sleep very late but he may make it to 8:00 every now and then by the time he is 4 years old.

Anonymous said...

Just wait until he is a teenager and you'll NEVER be able to get him out of bed...trust me, it is coming.
Love you always
G-MA