8.12.2009

Learning from the Best

Jody recently had a cow put in the freezer for us (I think that's the nicest way to say it).  We have several different cuts, mainly hamburger and steaks, to last us for the next year.  One of the cuts is cube steak, one of Jody's favorite.  He asked me to cook it tonight and since I had no clue where to start, I headed over to Marie's to learn from a pro.  She is just the sweetest person in the world and the best cook around.  She cooks for a living and is quite famous in our town for her country cooking and desserts.  I was thrilled to have her teach me, although it turned into me doing a lot of watching and not so much cooking.  I did attempt to do the mashed potatoes myself (I do know how to make these thank you very much) and she ever so sweetly came up beside me and removed the mixer from my hand and said, "Here, honey.  Let me mash those for you."  I don't know if I'll ever be able to make country style steak myself, and I know mine will never taste like hers, but I sure enjoyed my afternoon with her.

Sam set up "Africa" on the counter while we got started cooking.
I watched intently, trying to learn all of her secrets.
Jack stayed busy doing a little light housework.
Soon, Sam joined in, clearing off the cabinets and wiping them down for his Mema.
Sam lined the table with "groceries" from the shelves as Jack and Papa watched.
Sam even begged to open up the canned goods and eat them.  I think he was happy he waited for the good stuff.  And it was delicious, as always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have watched her cook for years. I can NEVER get mine to taste as good as hers. I don't know why...Joe says she cooks and adds LOVE..............I guess so. but what does that say about me? I know I did not inherit the cook gene.
Love
G-MA