7.23.2009

Should Have Taken Zoology

Sam is an animal fanatic.  We have quickly moved on from a basic love of farm animals to a fascination with all animals.  He loves safari animals and still has an affection for all bears.  And so we talk about animals a lot around here.  A whole lot.  And usually I understand what he's talking about....Africa, grasslands, jungles, river dolphins, snakes, etc.  But we have had one constant breakdown in communication. For several months now, Sam has asked me to tell him about "karates."  "Karates, honey? I don't know what those are."  "Karates, Mommy. Yes, you do.  Tell me."  This happened nearly every day.  He would ask me to speak about this unknown animal that he referred to as a "karate," and yes he pronounced it just like the martial art.  He would become very frustrated with me and would often leave in a huff, showing little tolerance for his animal-science ignorant Mama.

Well, imagine my shock and amazement when while researching zoos in the south, I came across this...
This, people, is a coati.  Apparently a relative of the raccoon, they mainly live in Central and South America, and Mexico, but have actually been seen in Arizona and Texas.  I screamed at the top of my lungs, like someone discovering her winning lottery ticket not some funky animal, for Sam to come see my computer.  He ran to my side and very casually said, "Yeah, Mommy.  That is a coati."  Duh, Mama.  And I now recognize this little creature from the beginning of the Diego cartoons (I should have turned to good ol' Diego sooner).  Lessons learned.  I should have taken a zoology course.  And I should use google a little more often...although my search for this rodent would have more likely revealed kung-fu when I entered "karate."  And I shouldn't avoid the Jack Hanna segments on Good Morning America.  Oh, I have so much to learn to keep up with these boys.

1 comment:

MiMi & Robin said...

This young lad is going to be an expert will all animals. Thanks Sam for giving Robin's Nest a tour of your farm. And also, thank you Sam and Jack for the beautiful hydrangeas you brought me today for my birthday!
Meme loves you so!