6.21.2009

My Daddy

How do I describe all that is my Dad and all that he means to me?  I am certain I cannot articulate just how wonderful he is and how blessed I am to call him my father.  But today, on a day when we celebrate fathers, I will try.

My admiration for him has grown tremendously since having my own children.  Only after experiencing the intense love of being a parent, could I understand just how special my Daddy is.  Falling in love with my boys was easy, natural and instant.  This is what happens when you become a parent, you catch that first glimpse of your baby and life as you know it is forever changed.  The moment they are placed in your arms you become fully aware that this tiny being has taken control of your heart and you begin to understand the beauty of unconditional love.

My Dad wasn't there to see me draw my first breath.  I wasn't swaddled and placed into his awaiting arms.  We didn't have that moment, the moment where he gazed into my newborn face and made endless promises to me.  Promises of love and protection from a father to his tiny, new daughter.  My Dad didn't catch his "first glimpse" of me until several years later.  He missed my first cry, first words, first steps.  He married my Mom when I was four, a stubborn, difficult little tomboy who questioned his authority and tested his patience.

Only after having Sam and Jack, could I fully understand what a special person it takes to raise a child as your own years after they are born.  And while I know that I could eventually fall in love with any child, I know that when that child is yours, your own flesh and blood, and you have been there for every minute of their life, that love comes easy.  So for him to have walked into our lives (Allyson was six when they married) and love us in the manner that he has loved us is remarkable.  He chose not just to love and care for our Mom, but to also happily accept a ready-made family.

They never had that special time alone before welcoming children into their lives.  We were always there and he never made us feel like this was a problem or a burden.  I'll never forget what he said about the first time he saw Allyson and me.  He was picking Mama up for their first date and there we sat, side by side in the chair as he walked in to get her.  He said we were the two prettiest things he had ever seen, sitting there so quietly, like two little angels.  They fell in love pretty quickly and were married months later.

And we were a family.  We were safe, protected and loved.  After being married a short time, I can remember asking him what we could give him for his birthday.  He responded without hesitation that the best gift we could ever give him would be to call him Daddy.  And we did.  And he was our Daddy.  He soon adopted us and gave us his name and we were so excited.  I can remember practicing writing my new name for hours.  We were embraced by not only him, but his parents and siblings and were overjoyed to share their name.

I can't imagine where I would be today if he hadn't stepped into our lives.  His love has shaped my life.  I am thankful for his guidance and wisdom.  He is undoubtedly the finest man I know and I am so proud to be his daughter.  He exudes integrity and compassion.  He is kind and generous.  He loves God and his knowledge of God's word is astounding.  He never says anything negative or derogatory about others and is a wonderful listener and counselor.  

We experienced our fair share of bumps in the roads during my teenage years and I am sure I have disappointed him many times.  Those days are a distant memory and we now share a wonderful friendship and admiration for each other.  We share a love of music and we both equally enjoy a great movie or book.  He wrote and recorded a beautiful song for me and we danced to it on my wedding day.  That song and the letter that he wrote me when he presented it to me are a treasure that I will always cherish.

He is an amazing, wonderful person and I know that he shaped my life more than anyone else.  When I found out Sam was a boy, I knew instantly that I wanted to name him after my Daddy.  Samuel "John" proudly carries on a name that dates back several generations in the Paschal family.  One day I hope Sam will understand what an honor it is for him to share that name with his grandfather.  I feel tremendously blessed to know him as my Daddy and to call him my friend.   Happy Father's Day Daddy...I love you.

No comments: