12.28.2008

My Brother

Sam has been getting in trouble lately for being a little too rough with sweet little Landry.  He treats her just like one of the boys and doesn't hesitate to push her down, grab toys from her or yell at her.  I am constantly threatening his sweet little life and promising him a one of a kind spanking if he can't be nice to her.  I try to explain to him that she is a little girl and that we should always be nice and kind to girls.  I have told him that under no circumstances should he ever hit a girl, cousin or not.  He is a little stubborn (just like his Daddy) and so we have had quite a few discussions about his behavior towards Landry.  

Finally tonight I asked Sam, "Why are you so nice to other girls, but you are mean sometimes to Landry?  She's a little girl, too, you know."

He answered with all seriousness, "Because, Mommy.  Sometimes Cannon is mean to Jack and he is my brother so I be mean to his sister Andry (Sam doesn't pronounce the L in her name)."

So what do you say to that?  I was happy and proud to know that he felt the need to protect his little brother even from someone harmless like Cannon, but I couldn't allow him to mistreat Landry either.  So I gave him a long lecture about how nice he is to look after Jack and that I hope he will always do that.  But, I reminded him, he also has to remember all our long talks about being nice to girls and treating them kindly.  He responded with a quick, "Okay, Mommy" and ran off to play.  I am sure Landry will still receive a few pushes from Sam and that he will probably get his fair share of spankings for mistreating her, but I am so happy that after only a year of being a big brother, Sam truly loves Jack and wants to protect him.  What more could I ask for?

My Brother

2 comments:

Jodi Lowe said...

That is so sweet!!!!

Allyson Lee said...

Aww, I didn't know he said that. Landry is a tough girl, I'm not worried about her. But, I agree, these boys have to treat little girls different. I preach it all the time here also. Their wives will thank us!