11.23.2008

The Paper


Today was a busy day.  I spent most of the day running around like a crazy person trying to get everything done...get the boys up and ready for church...mow grass...plant pansies...do four loads of laundry...straighten the house...change the sheets on my bed from Sam's accident last night...run to Target to find plain white shirts for the boys for family pictures at my grandparent's house...clean out the car...get the boys dressed and ready for Thanksgiving at Jackie and Granddaddy's...oversee Jody's wardrobe choices...load the car with changes of clothes, a cake, coats and my camera...manage to actually take a shower and put on decent clothes.  Yes, it was a busy, busy day.

But today, something absolutely stopped me in my tracks.  Filled my eyes with tears.  Made my heart flutter.  As I was cleaning out the car, I grabbed Sam's coat that he wore to church.  Underneath the coat was a crumpled sheet of paper.  And on the paper was Sam's crayon scribbles and the words:

1.  "I am thankful for tractors."

2.  "I am thankful for my Mama."

I stood right there in the driveway taking in the precious moment of my discovery.  I ran in to show Jody my wonderful surprise and then proudly posted the artwork on the refrigerator.  Later, I asked Allyson about the picture.  She said Corey told the story of the First Thanksgiving today in children's church.  All the kids colored a picture and she called them up one by one and asked them to tell what they were thankful for.  She then wrote this on their paper.  She said Sam immediately said he was thankful for tractors...no surprise here, he thanks God for tractors every time he prays.  But she said later he did the sweetest thing.  He came back over, tapped Ally on the leg and said "I'm thankful for my Mama, too."  So she added it to his paper (thanks, Ally).

It was the best present I could have received.  It made my day...perfectly put things into perspective.  This is why I run around trying to do everything for these boys.  So that one day I can show up on a crumpled piece of preschool artwork.  Wonderful.  Perfect.  Priceless.  And I'm not even complaining about finishing a close second to farm equipment...

Sam,
Thank you for the most wonderful surprise today.  I thank God for you everyday.  I am proud to be your Mommy and love you more than you'll ever know.
Hugs and Kisses,
Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Mom you don't hear it much, but that one special Thanks or I love you too will make you do a lifetime of busy days. Isn't it wonderful.......
Love
G-MA